Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Unexcused

I'm a bad parent. No, really, I'm terrible.

For example, I DID NOT KNOW that when your teenager is sick and stays home from school that GOOD PARENTS not only call the school in the morning to say, "She has a fever and won't be coming in today," but they ALSO dutifully write a HAND-WRITTEN note to the school, sign it, date it (adding some DNA wouldn't hurt) and send it with their child when she's well enough to return to school.

How did I learn this? Because I got a call from the school informing me of all of the UNEXCUSED absences (a total of 3) this semester. "This is a problem," the family resource center coordinator calmly informs me.

No kidding. My kid's mother is STUPID. That's the problem.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How long have you been doing this? These kids aren't new, are they?

    -- Jason

Dott Comments said...

Well, you're not going to believe this, but these kids RARELY are absent. My rule used to be that you had to have a fever or be bleeding -- that's it -- to miss school.

Jack was "Mr. Perfect Attendance" for several years and Hannah used to beg ("please, Mom, I threw up four times") to no avail. I've lightened up a bit lately.

So I guess I just never learned how to report them absent, that's all. That, and I'm stupid.