Sunday, June 12, 2005

Mr. & Mrs. Fabulous


Imagine Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn spouting witty dialogue whilst wearing bulletproof vests and wielding AK-47s. That's just a bit what the Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie film Mr. & Mrs. Smith is like.

Or maybe its like Rock Hudson and Doris Day doing that slapstick physical comedy thing they'd do when they were trying to ruin each other's life but this time they're trying to kill each other. Yeah, that's it.

I'm sure I missed some of the best lines because I was laughing so much.

Here's one scene: Brad and Angelina are trying to evade three heavily armed BMWs while driving like a bat out of hell in a stolen minivan. She: "I'm an orphan." He: "So who was that man who gave you away at our wedding?" She: "A rented actor." He: "I thought I'd seen your father in Fantasy Island."

Another bit of dialogue (they are hired assasins): He: "How many, you know, have you done." She: "You go first baby, how many have you done?" He: "Well I haven't kept close count but I'd say between 50 and 60." She: "357." He: "357. Really." She: "Well, some were doubles." He just looks at her. [Imagine the classic Spencer Tracy "I dismiss you" wave of the hand here.]

This movie works on so many different levels. There's sexual tension and hilarious comedy. (Remind me to tell you about Angelina's dominatrix scene.)

You've got to go see this film. Call me, I'll go again.

No comments: