Tuesday, September 5, 2006

Anniversary? What? When?

CORRECTION: I must confess. This post has been edited. The original version said "Babycakes and I have been together since November 1994." That was WRONG (and boy, did I hear about it!). The correct year was 1993. See what I mean? I am bad, very bad.

Eek's post about her anniversary got me thinking about my own relationships.

When I got married (what was I thinking!) it was a Tuesday, at lunch. What can I say? I am obviously a hopeless romantic.

I never could remember the date of my anniversary. My spouse (we never referred to each other as husband/wife, although now I delight in calling him my EX-husband) gave me a ring on the occasion of our 10th year together. We'd never had wedding rings before -- something that drove my mother bat-crazy.

Anyway, it was something he'd designed and it was lovely. It also had the date engraved inside. We were together for another seven years.

Babycakes and I have been together since November 1993 (far out!) and, umm, we can't really get married because of that gender thing and George W. Bush.

So Babycakes and I don't really have an anniversary because when do same-sex couples start counting? First date? First sleep-over? Move in together date?

We need your help to choose a date. Ideas?

8 comments:

MsHellion said...

If someone asks me how long Dave and I have been togther, I use the general time that we first considered ourselves exclusive, which is roughly from Thanksgving week of November 1997. The marriage thing is all about paperwork and taxes.

Dott Comments said...

So, using your reasoning, the November 1993 date would work for us as well. We did not cohabitate until 7 or 8 months later.

Dott Comments said...

You're right Eek. The old joke in the lesbian community is "Q. What do lesbians do on their second date? A. Rent a UHaul."

I'd like to think we were a bit more "mature" than that.

Dr. Chingasa said...

I go by when we were comfortable farting & belching around each other, which was more like Nov 98. But that's just lil ol me.

Monkey McWearingChaps said...

Congrats on your upcoming anniversary. I say use the day you sort of met and went out for the first time.

Monkey

PS: when I get off my lazy ass and load up the new page, do you mind if I add you?

Anonymous said...

H always insists on using June 96 (or something like that) as our date, which is when we met, but I can't remember that one (clearly), so I use the wedding date, which he never remembers. So generally we're confused :)

Nov 93 sounds good to me! It's a beginning...

Dott Comments said...

Monkey -- yes, please do link me (and I'll do the same)!

Carrie -- glad to know that I'm not the only one who forgets those important days.

Y'all have had great suggestions (er, except that one about farting). I think we should celebrate during the entire month of November.

Anonymous said...

Remebering all those dates is not easy. Birthdays get mixed up with anniversaries all the time at the Browne household. I always go by when Paz and I offically became an item which was March 1998.